Types of Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty has become one of the most commonly requested cosmetic surgery procedures in the world. Also commonly referred to as nose reshaping surgery, during rhinoplasty, a cosmetic surgeon, or appropriately trained ENT surgeon may use a number of different techniques to alter the shape of a patients nose to make it more desirable. The nose surgery may involve changing the size, shape or projection of a patient’s nose, as well as removing bumps on the bridge and other defects.
Below are some of the common types of rhinoplasty performed by ENT surgeons:
- Open rhinoplasty: This procedure is generally used in cases where more extensive nose surgery is required, such as to reduce the size of flared nostrils. During this surgery, an incision is made on the skin separating the two nostrils, after which the skin of the nose is lifted, and the nose re-shaped. Open rhinoplasty can result in some visible scarring post surgery.
- Closed rhinoplasty: This surgical procedure requires incisions to be made only on the inside of the nose, within the nostrils, so that visible scarring post-surgery is minimised. However, depending on the individual case, there may be a chance of some slight visible scaring after the procedure.
- Reduction rhinoplasty: This procedure is performed to make the nose smaller in size. During reduction rhinoplasty, the bone and cartilage is trimmed down, and re-arranged, as required. This procedure usually has a much shorter recovery period than other types of nose surgery.
- Revision rhinoplasty: If a patient is not satisfied with the outcome of their first nose surgery, they may need to undergo a revision rhinoplasty, to correct any problems.
- Augmentation rhinoplasty: This nose surgery is performed to increase the size of the patient’s nose. During augmentation rhinoplasty, graft material is usually harvested from a patient’s own body, before being transplanted to the nose. Three types of grafts may be used: tissue grafts, cartilage grafts or bone grafts.
- Septoplasty: This procedure is performed to straighten the nasal septum, and allow the patient to breathe more comfortably. It is a relatively simple type of nose surgery, during which an ENT surgeon will remove excess cartilage and bone.
ENT London is a premier ENT clinic in central London that specialises in rhinoplasty. Led by Professor RS Dhillon, ENT London hosts a team of highly qualified ENT surgeons from major London hospitals and regional centres of excellence, who are dedicated to providing the highest level of patient care.
ENT London is one of UK’s leading rhinoplasty clinics, and can be contacted on 0207 580 6970.